Blakely Island Maintenance Commission, Inc.
Minutes of October
20, 2004 BIMC Board meeting
The meeting was held by telephone conference with the following participants:
Marc Droppert, President
John Madden, Vice President
Ron Griffin, Secretary
Cindy Zech, Treasurer
John Howieson, Water commissioner
Ben Dole, Fire and Waste commissioner
Jim Davis Facilities manager
Russ Keyes Water project assistant
Martha Mills Airports and Roads
The meeting was called to order at 9:00 AM by Marc Droppert
- Water system project update: Jim Davis reported that the project is going
better than expected; some cost savings had been achieved by sharing the
ditching on the last 900 feet with OPALCO, who is burying a new power cable
along the same route. The contractor has been excellent, very accommodating
to local traffic, the restoration after the trenches were filled looks
better than before the digging began and the grass seed is already
sprouting. 21 meters have been installed on domestic connections and 4 new
raw water connections have been made. Six meter connections are ready to be
made along the access road on the east side of the runway. No leaks have
been found after pressure testing the new lines. Some confusion resulted
from the statement in the minutes that “connections would be made with
standard ¾ inch meters”. The complete correct statement should be amended
to clarify that the “standard ¾ inch connection includes a 5/8 inch
standard residential meter.” John Howieson and Marc have explained this to
- Motion was made that for properties which pay multiple assessments and
which have a single connection, the owners can aggregate the standard
connection cost of the multiple assessments towards the cost of the hardware
required for their larger connections. Passed unanimously.
- Motion was made that for owners who want to upgrade to ¾ inch or larger
meters, they can be installed for the additional actual hardware cost and
future maintenance will be billed at actual incremental cost for maintenance
hardware compared to standard 5/8 inch meters. Passed unanimously.
- Taggeres' connection has been discussed with Janet several times. Janet
will contract with Ken Parker to do the necessary work and BIMC will pay
the cost up to $10,000 as previously approved and budgeted. John
Howieson will summarize with a letter to Janet Taggeres.
- Marina raw water system connection will require an 80 foot trench and
pipe. BIMC will prepare to make this connection and prepare an invoice to be
reviewed with B.C. Crowley in conjunction with the new water tank location
discussion. Russ will have preliminary discussions with BC Crowley regarding
- Hanger raw water system supply was discussed. Motion was made to convert
the hangers to raw water and eliminate the annual maintenance fee next year
and thereafter for hanger owners. Passed unanimously.
- Phyllis Chennault sent a letter to Marc regarding her concerns regarding
the water project. Marc will respond with a letter.
- Waivers were faxed yesterday to Marc for approval. Motion was made to
approve the waivers for Lot 90 and ½ of Lot B. Approved unanimously.
- No response has been received from Gordon Carey regarding his contiguous
- Fire – Ben Dole said that Lance thought perhaps the board had
alternative ideas to input to the fire project. The board is awaiting the
plan and does not have other ideas until the plan can be evaluated. The
board would like to be kept apprised of the progress on this important
- Financial update: Checking account balance is $190,637. Maintenance
Reserve balance is $156,638 and is interest bearing. Assessments are nearly
- Alternative hanger arrangements were made with Pete Galli through the year
2006 as they had been with Harold Bartram. Jim has moved to the new hanger
and Harold will proceed with the sale of his hanger.
Meeting was adjourned at 10:15 AM
Ron Griffin, Secretary BIMC