Blakely Island Maintenance Commission, Inc.

Minutes of April 14, 2007 BIMC Board Meeting

A meeting of the Board of Director of the Blakely Island Maintenance Commission was held on April 14, 2007 on Blakely Island at the home of John Madden

Participants:
John Madden President & Fire
Jane Loura Treasurer
Ben Dole Water
Ellen Roth BCF and Vice President
Anne Malmo Secretary
Jim Davis Facilities Manager
Absent:
Jeff Fegert Roads

Meeting called to order at 10:10 AM.

Treasurer’s Report:    10:10 AM
Jane Loura gave a big thank you to BIMC Bookkeeper Cheryl Burkhart for her work on the BIMC books. The reports and accounts are easier to read, there is a new chart of accounts. The Island Transport transported the new fire truck to the island at no charge. We thank them for their donation.

Jim Sheerin (lot 126) has not paid his BIMC dues. As is proper procedure a lien will be placed on his Blakely Island home.

Water:    10:25 AM
Following is a written report submitted by Ben Dole for inclusion in the minutes.
“Water Commissioner Report, 4/14/07

At the February meeting, the Board concurred with the draft cross-connection control plan. Since then, Steve Cade our consultant transmitted the document to Steve Deem in the State Department of Health for his review.

Steve Deem required that the plan be modified in three respects:

  1. Double check valve assemblies are to be required wherever there is untreated water to the property. This will add about 8 DCVA’s to what we had hoped to have in our plan
  2. Specific processes and checks will be required to insure that a cross connection does not occur within our distribution system. This will primarily be documentation, operator procedures and signage. Some write-up on the untreated water system will be required, but should not be any significant cost impact.
  3. The schedule needs to be shortened over the four year period we had proposed. It appears that Steve Deem will accept equal parts spread over 18 months. This would require the first implementation this fall, with the remaining portions completed in the spring and fall of 2008. Jim and I (Ben) agree that this is tight but workable.

We will continue to work with Steve Cade to get this document completed and past the State. Our expectation is that the plan will be implemented in the next month or two. Once the plan is OK’d by the State and accepted by the Board, the next step will be to send out to all members

  1. a copy of the approved cross-connection plan, and
  2. a survey to assess any complexities in lot owner’s water system (irrigation water to the lot, hydronic floor heat, plumbed hot tubs, etc.). This will allow our consultant to determine exactly what cross-connection control measures will be required in accordance with State regulations.

Detailed planning and installation of any required equipment will follow later this year and through 2008.
Ben Dole
Water Commissioner

Fire Report:    10:50 AM
Jim Davis updated the board on the status of the fire truck. Sales tax is $7,700.00 There is $3500 in the budget. We have purchased more hose to outfit the fire truck. The truck needs a smooth bore pistol grip fire nozzle. We need additional safety equipment on the truck. A fire resistant jacket and a chain saw. John Davidson, Kevin Clark along with Jim Davis will be asked to come up with a complete proposal for the rest of the items needed for the fire truck. The new truck should be operational within the month. We are waiting for a hose separator for stacking the fire hose in the hose bins.

Sirens: The test of the siren control system was successful. BIMC needs two telephone poles. An antenna will be installed on top of each pole, one at the hanger and one at the recycle center. The plan is to have a siren at the marina, hangers and the recycle center. There are poles on the upper island that belong to OPALCO. A request has been made for two poles.

Marina Report:    11:10 AM
The BCF board held a meeting on April 14, 00 at 9:00 AM to discuss the proposal from Ken. It was agreed that the BCF would cover his requests for freezer repair. Ken will assume fuel inventory and costs dating back to September 26, 2006 and will owe BCF about $13,000. It was also agreed that he will be reimbursed for major system repair and storm damage, in an amount yet to be determined. Charlie Mills will draft a new sublease. Ken has been working on installing Pizza ovens. He hopes to sell pizza on Friday and Saturday nights. He plans to open the Marina facility in mid-May. Parking issues still need to be resolved. Ken will not police the parking; the Crowley’s suggest that the BCF work this out with Ken. A general discussion ensued regarding winter damage at the marina, water meters, maintenance of the fuel dock, the waterline to the fuel dock, light on the fuel dock, barge damage, “floaters” (big driftwood pieces) in the cross pieces of the dock, BCF notes and how to retire them, and the mechanics of the BCF meeting within the Annual meeting. Mark Droppert’s term on the BCF board will expire after the annual meeting. Several names were suggested as new BCF board members. Since the BIMC board also needs new members the nominating committee should try to avoid “double asking”.

Popcorn Break:    11:57 AM


Secretary:    12:07 PM
The minutes of February 27, 2007 were unanimously approved as written.

Motion made by Jane Loura, seconded by Ben Dole.

The Owners Manual and contents were discussed. How to assure that when ownership changes hands that the Board and the BIMC know about the change. Private sales are occurring and we need to be sure that new members are included in the BIMC.

Tent Policy continues. Two people have commented on the policy now.

General Business:    12:30 PM
The annual meeting will be held on July 7, 2007 at 9:00 AM. Lots of discussion ensued about the set up, votes, food, location, chairs and tables. The picnic will start at 5:00 PM at the cabana at the marina.

The budget needs to be finalized, the nominees for new board members, the packets for the membership all need to be completed, copied and ready for distribution.. Also included in the meeting pack will be the complete (hopefully approved) Cross Connection Control policy. The required questionnaire will be distributed soon after. The packets should be ready for printing on 5/15/07 and in the mail on or before 5/23/07

The fire truck will be demonstrated and there will be training on Sunday, July 8, 2007 at 10:00 AM.

Discussion followed as to whether a Memorial Day informational meeting will be held to discuss the various items that will be presented at the Annual meeting. The board decided to delay decision for now.

Budget Discussion:    1:10 PM
Pages and pages of budget projections, year to date reports, actual vs. projected comparisons, and a draft 2007-08 budget were discussed. Discussion on the budget closed with a report that the fish for stocking the lake are due next week. Boats were repaired last year; however we still have money in the budget to acquire a new boat. One has been offered at a reasonable price. Each board member left with tasks for the budget.

Meeting adjourned at 3:10 PM

Respectfully submitted,

Anne Malmo

Misc. things: